Capital gains tax for non UK residents

Are you a non-UK resident considering selling a property? This blog outlines a little bit about what you need to know about staying on the right side of HMRC when it comes to capital gains tax. Psst… Remember, if you’re not sure about anything just get in touch!

Does this apply to you?
If you’re not a resident in the UK and sell a UK property you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax. This includes:

How to calculate what you owe
It’s essential to remember that these charges only apply to gains accrued after 6 April 2016. Here is how to calculate the chargeable gain accrued after this date.

Substitute the original cost of the property with its value as of April 2015
It is the responsibility of the individual to keep an accurate record of the value and condition of a property from April 2015. If you do have a professional valuation this will help you at a later date. It is also worth noting that the longer you wait after April 2015 the harder it will be to reach a fair value for your property.

When should you get in touch with HMRC?
As a non-resident selling a UK residential property you will need to inform HRMC within 30 days of the property being conveyed that the disposal has occurred. This is required regardless of whether or not you currently file UK tax returns. (It may be worth remembering that for capital gains tax purposes the date of disposal is the date of exchange of contracts).

Paying your capital gains tax

If you file a UK tax return
If you currently file a UK tax return the payment of any liability can be done within the usual self-assessment deadline. This means if a property is sold during the 2016/17 tax year payment will be due by 31 January 2018.

If you do not file a UK tax return
Unfortunately, if you don’t file a UK tax return you will only have 30 days to pay the outstanding liability. Once you’ve notified HMRC of the disposal you will be issued a reference number to make your payment. As usual, to prevent any unnecessary hassle we recommend you submit the form to HMRC as soon as possible to allow HMRC time to issue your payment reference number and to receive payment.

The Chichester Accountants team are always happy to help, get in touch on 01243 532 490 or email

If you’d like to find out further information the government have a very helpful FAQ’s document about capital gains tax for non-UK residents.


The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by The Chichester Accounts Ltd and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.


01243 532 490

Local Accounting thats right for you

Get in touch

With us

Tel: 01243 532 490
Professional Indemnity Insurers:
Hiscox Ltd Policy Ref:CHICIOWQ01
Territorial coverage is Worldwide excluding claims brought in USA/Canada.
Registered Office:
Forum House, Stirling Road, Chichester, West Sussex, England, PO19 7DN
Company No: 07327325

Subscribe to

Our Newsletter